network hardware not detected using Debian network installer

Hi,

Before to reinstall on a new hard disk, I have tested both the debian and ubuntu installers for a network install (to avoid to download all the Debian .iso's).

My machine is a powerbook SD 1,25GHz, from Oct 2004, and perfectly working since ... the first day I receive it in fact :-)

The issue is : no network hardware is detected, neither the network card nor the airport express card. This is of course a bit problematic for a network install.

FYI : the cdrom name is : Debian GNU/Linux testing "Etch" - Official Snapshot powerpc Binary-1 20060225
uname told me the kernel version is 2.6.12.

In fact, everything is seen, excepted the network card :-/

This kernel is maybe not up-to-date for BCM4306, but it should at least detect the ethernet card ? To be more precise, this issue is fully repeatable, even starting the laptop from power off status, and use expert mode does not change anything (or I'm wrong somewhere).

Using ubuntu installer, the following hardware is seen :

eth0 : Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
eth1 : Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 GMAC ( Sun GEM )

(kernel is 2.6.15-16, and that's probably the reason why the Broadcom card is seen )

Maybe I'm using the wrong installer for a powerbook ? (I believed it was ok with such old machines...)

Thank's in advance for any suggestion  :-)

Regards,
eric bachard

--
<ericb at openoffice |dot_ org>
Francophone OpenOffice.org Commmunity developer (Linux PPC / Mac OS X / X11)