Re: experiencing xorg problems

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 10:13 +0200, Javier Ramirez wrote:

> I am not using gdm because sometimes xorg freezes (debian unstable).
> >From 10 times I boot my powerbook, xorg freezes a list 3 times (if
> this happens I have to reboot and hope that this doesn't happen
> again).  I follow that xorg wiki from the debian wiki to see if I can
> find something about this but no one talks anything about it.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7
>
> I tried to log in  /var/log/Xorg.0.log but I don't find anything that
> gives me feedback about this.

First of all, make sure you have xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.5.8.0-1.
(BTW, everybody else who encountered stability issues with the radeon
driver, please test this! It has all of Ben's critical fixes) If the
problem occurs with that, try not enabling the DRI and see if it still
happens.

> Another thing is resume. Since xorg 7.0 resume doesn't work anymore in
> my powerbook. Is this normal? If I tried that xorg freezes...

Might be due to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=363120 .

> Other weird thing is that only this versions of xorg works for me:
>
>  xorg_1%3a7.0.17_all.deb
>  xserver-xorg_1%3a7.0.17_all.deb
>  xserver-xorg-input-all_1%3a7.0.17_powerpc.deb
>  xlibs-data_1%3a7.0.17_all.deb
>
> If I tried to upgrade to 0.18 (I suppose this is the most recent
> version). Next I boot xorg freezes or doesn't show me anything at all.
> So I do not upgrade xorg.

Weird, the changelog for 1:7.0.18 looks innocuous. Can you isolate a
single package that causes this?