Re: changing mac address of Sun GEM

At Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:09:37 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> the patch is whitespace damaged though...

Ok, that should be fixed now.

> Appart from that, what's the output of strace macchanger ? Might give a
> clue why it complains...

To be honest, this is the first time I try to change anything in the
kernel... What exactly is the meaning of "netif_running"?  I thought
it indicated whether the interface is up or down, but that seems not
to be true.  What happened, is that the data structure of the net
device was updated with the new mac address, but it was not written to
the hardware.

> I'll give it a try myself as soon as I find some time and will submit
> the patch upstream with fixups if needed.

In this patch, the new mac address is written to the hardware
regardless of "netif_running".  It seems to work, but probably needs
fixups...

Ruben