Re: No dual boot after installing Debian Etch on iBook

Hi Pierre,
thanks for your rapid answer: I hope you'll get my reply as soon as
possible (although subscribed I am not receiving messages from the list
and not all posts I sent went through ;-( .... )

* Pierre Bauduin <pierre@baudu.in> <
> [2007-06-08]:
>  ------=_Part_78649_49780.1181313729169
>
>  2007/6/8, Ennio-Sr <nasr.laili@tin.it>:
> >
> > [Sorry for POSSIBLE DUPLICATE]
> > [...]

>  Hi there,
>
>  Yes this is a weird issue.
>
>  Maybe is it the hardware of the iBook G3 300 MHz which is unable to
>  recognize the 80 GB hard disk.

Mmh, this is one of the first doubts I had; however, using the MacOS9
install CD I could see the whole 80GB and make 8 partitions (in one on
my attempts).

>  I've made a page that might by helpful to you, here:
>  http://pierre.baudu.in/ibook/
>  (This page is about installing Debian 4.0 on my iBook G3)

I found it very interesting.
Did I miss something or you didn't make any 'Apple_bootstrap' partition?
(which should be made by the debianppc installer thus violating the 'must'
not touch the partition map made by Mac you underlined in your
document).

>  Also, on another Mac, I have encountered a weird problem where, just after
>  having installed Debian 4.0, the machine becomes unbootable, and indeed
>  shows a flashing "?" inside a disk, look at the installation report I made:
>  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=422836
>  (However, the problem happened on an OldWorld Mac, using the BootX
>  bootloader)

I 'subscribed' this bug, adding my own experience. I hope my post gets
through!

>  Hope this could help,
>  Greetings,

Sure, it helped a lot!
Best regards,
	Ennio

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.    \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"   (diceva Henry Miller) ]    (°|°)