Re: dist-upgrade failed squeeze

> As no one more knowledgeable has responded, and despite that I haven't
> looked at my Squeeze installation (running Fedora 14 on this machine):

Thanks for your help.

> On 11-01-01 09:15:34, ver...@free.fr wrote:
> > I try to dist-upgrade squeeze (as usual) on my iBookG4 but several
> > things failed
> > OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> > '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/reportlab/extensions/__init__.py'

> Perhaps a package with a name containing "reportlab" is not installed?
>  (python-reportlab on Fedora 14.)

There is also a debian package python-reportlab. But it seems installed on my
computer.

# aptitude search reportlab
i   python-reportlab                         - ReportLab library to create PDF
documents using Py
i A python-reportlab-accel                   - C coded extension accelerator for
the ReportLab To
p   python-reportlab-accel-dbg               - C coded extension accelerator for
the ReportLab To
p   python-reportlab-doc                     - Documentation for the ReportLab
Python library (PD
v   python2.5-reportlab-accel                -
v   python2.6-reportlab-accel                -

I tried dist-upgrading again but failed.

> > Maybe this second problem is just a consequence of the first one.

> I don't think it is.  Apparantly you will be stuck using the old
> initscripts stuff and not the new upstart stuff until you resolve that
> problem.  Possibly it will work after libdevmapper1 (?) is updated.
> The link http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot is
> likely to be of some help, as might searching on upstart.

I tried but I do not really know what to do.

After purging bittorrent (and screen (presumably for dependency reasons (?))),
I still get:

# /usr/share/insserv/check-initd-order
error: Unable to read /etc/rc2.d/S20bittorrent at
/usr/share/insserv/check-initd-order line 390.
error: Unable to read /etc/rc2.d/S20mplayer at
/usr/share/insserv/check-initd-order line 390.
error: Unable to read /etc/rc2.d/S20wifi-radar at
/usr/share/insserv/check-initd-order line 390.
error: LSB header missing in /etc/rcS.d/S25libdevmapper1.02
error: Unable to read /etc/rc2.d/S20bittorrent at
/usr/share/insserv/check-initd-order line 390.
error: LSB header missing in /etc/rc2.d/S20bittorrent
error: Unable to read /etc/rc2.d/S20mplayer at
/usr/share/insserv/check-initd-order line 390.
error: LSB header missing in /etc/rc2.d/S20mplayer
error: Unable to read /etc/rc2.d/S20wifi-radar at
/usr/share/insserv/check-initd-order line 390.
error: LSB header missing in /etc/rc2.d/S20wifi-radar

Moreover

# aptitude reinstall libdevmapper1.02
The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
  libdevmapper1.02
The following partially installed packages will be configured:
  apt-xapian-index gconf2 gksu gnome-keyring libgksu2-0 libgweather-common
libgweather1
  openoffice.org-emailmerge python python-apt python-debian python-libxml2
python-uno
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the libdevmapper1.02 package. This might
mean you need to manually fix this package.
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the libdevmapper1.02 package. This might
mean you need to manually fix this package.
E: Internal error: couldn't generate list of packages to download

So libdevmapper1.02 seems not to exist anymore but the description of the
package make it seem important to the system. I am not sure wether
libdevmapper1.02.1
which is already installed is a replacement to it.

I include en glich version of my errors below.

Best regards,

Benoit.

# dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc
info: Checking if it is safe to convert to dependency based boot.
Unable to migrate to dependency-based boot system
          │
 │
                   │
 │ Tests have determined that problems in the boot system exist which
prevent migration to    │
 │ dependency-based boot sequencing:
                   │
 │
                   │
 │ insserv: warning: script 'S25libdevmapper1.02' missing LSB tags and
overrides, insserv:    │
 │ warning: script 'libdevmapper1.02' missing LSB tags and overrides,
                   │
 │
                   │
 │ If the reported problem is a local modification, it needs to be fixed
manually. If it's a  │
 │ bug in the package, it should be reported to the BTS and fixed in the
package. See         │
 │ http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot for more
information about how   │
 │ to fix the problems preventing migration.
                   │
 │
                   │
 │ To reattempt the migration process after the problems have been fixed,
run                 │
 │ "dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc".

# aptitude dist-upgrade
The following partially installed packages will be configured:
  apt-xapian-index gconf2 gksu gnome-keyring libgksu2-0 libgweather-common
libgweather1
  openoffice.org-emailmerge python python-apt python-debian python-libxml2
python-uno
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
Setting up python (2.6.6-3+squeeze4) ...
Linking and byte-compiling packages for runtime python2.6...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pycompile", line 314, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/pycompile", line 300, in main
    options.force, options.optimize, e_patterns)
  File "/usr/bin/pycompile", line 196, in compile
    ftime = os.stat(fn).st_mtime
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/reportlab/lib/tocindex.py'
dpkg: error processing python (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-apt:
 python-apt depends on python (>= 2.6.5-11~); however:
  Package python is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing python-apt (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-uno:
 python-uno depends on python (<< 2.7); however:
  Package python is not configured yet.
 python-uno depends on python (>= 2.6); however:
  Package python is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing python-uno (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openoffice.org-emailmerge:
 openoffice.org-emailmerge depends on python-uno; however:
  Package python-uno is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-emailmerge (--configure):
dpkg: depeconfigured to not write apport reports
                                                configured to not write apport
reports

     configured to not write apport reports
                           configured to not write apport reports
                                                                 configured to
not write apport reports
      configured to not write apport reports
                                            configured to not write apport
reports

 configured to not write apport reports
                       configured to not write apport reports
                                                             configured to not
write apport reports
  configured to not write apport reports
                                        configured to not write apport reports

configured to not write apport reports
                   ndency problems prevent configuration of python-debian:
 python-debian depends on python (>= 2.5); however:
  Package python is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing python-debian (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apt-xapian-index:
 apt-xapian-index depends on python (>= 2.4); however:
  Package python is not configured yet.
 apt-xapian-index depends on python-apt (>= 0.7.93.2); however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
 apt-xapian-index depends on python-debian (>= 0.1.14); however:
  Package python-debian is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing apt-xapian-index (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gconf2:
 gconf2 depends on python; however:
  Package python is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gconf2 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgksu2-0:
 libgksu2-0 depends on gconf2 (>= 2.28.1-2); however:
  Package gconf2 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libgksu2-0 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gksu:
 gksu depends on libgksu2-0 (>= 2.0.8); however:
  Package libgksu2-0 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gksu (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnome-keyring:
 gnome-keyring depends on gconf2 (>= 2.28.1-2); however:
  Package gconf2 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gnome-keyring (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgweather-common:
 libgweather-common depends on gconf2 (>= 2.28.1-2); however:
  Package gconf2 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libgweather-common (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgweather1:
 libgweather1 depends on libgweather-common (>= 2.24.0); however:
  Package libgweather-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libgweather1 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-libxml2:
 python-libxml2 depends on python (<< 2.7); however:
  Package python is not configured yet.
 python-libxml2 depends on python (>= 2.5); however:
  Package python is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing python-libxml2 (--configure):
Sorry: TypeError: ('compile() expected string without null bytes',)
 python
 python-apt
 python-uno
 openoffice.org-emailmerge
 python-debian
 apt-xapian-index
 gconf2
 libgksu2-0
 gksu
 gnome-keyring
 libgweather-common
 libgweather1
 python-libxml2
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
[...]
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-debian: