Re: Strange bind crash on PPC G5 PowerMac running Squeeze plus 2.6.39 backports kernel

On 12/12/11 15:15, Frédéric Massot wrote:

Hi,

There is currently a vulnerability in Bind9, which makes it crash. You
may be in this case.

https://lwn.net/Articles/467779

Hi Frédéric,

That was one of my thoughts, but with an unstripped executable it should be possible to determine a function name or similar for a userspace crash.

After some more investigation, I did find the contents of /proc/modules interesting:

root@cheeseburger:~# cat /proc/modules
(cut)
snd_page_alloc 9929 1 snd_pcm, Live 0xd000000001fbf000
ath5k 162739 0 - Live 0xd000000001f83000
ath 20320 1 ath5k, Live 0xd000000001f3c00
(cut)

Now I don't know much about the PPC architecture, but comparing with frame 0 of the backtrace at 0x1f8c1d7c the addresses look similar enough to imply perhaps the issue lies within ath5k somewhere (which is the kernel module for the wireless network card).

I think my next move will be to figure out how to build an unstripped PPC kernel from backports and then raise a bug report with a suitable backtrace for the ath5k people.

Many thanks,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk