Re: Choice of Desktop environment at install time using netinst CD.

On Feb 26, 2013, at 2:47 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:

Basically, we put a lot of effort in for the isolinux-based x86 boot
menus to give the options here. I've added code to debian-cd to
convert those same menus into grub format for UEFI x86 booting. AFAIK
none of the other arches have that support. If you'd like to play with
yaboot and see if you can get it to play ball, I doubt anybody would
be averse to adding that as a feature. :-)

To be honest, it may be too late for Wheezy, but I guess it depends on
how big the changes would be.

I'm quite impressed with the effort you-all have put in on isolinux and grub for x86.

The yaboot bootloader for PowerPC doesn't have so much flexibility, so if it is to be done, it has to be done brute force. Fortunately, brute force works in this case.

All that's necessary to allow people to set the preferred desktop at install time is to add the following couple of sentences to /install/ boot.msg :

    The following desktop environments are available:
    gnome, kde, xfce and lxde.  The default is gnome.
    If you prefer a different one, append
        "desktop=<your choice>"
    E.g. to do an expert install with the xfce desktop
    environment, type
        "expert desktop=xfce"
    at the "boot:" prompt.

Would it help if I submit a wishlist bug report?  If so, which package?

Thanks!

Rick