Re: d-i: 4.3. Preparing Files for USB Memory Stick Booting

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 7:51 PM, Milan Kupcevic <milan@debian.org> wrote:
> On 04/19/2016 06:16 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Does anyone knows what happen to section:
>>
>> 4.3. Preparing Files for USB Memory Stick Booting
>>
>> in the powerpc install guide ?
>>

> The Mac producer officially does not support USB booting on PowerPC
> machines. While it is often possible to do it, the firmware behavior is
> inconsistent from version to version. Thus there is no official Debian
> guideline on how to do it. The situation with IBM Power machines could
> be different.
>
> There were discussions about this issue over the years on debian-powerpc
> mailing list. Search the list for more hints.

I could not find any solid arguments searching:

"site:https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc usb boot open firmware"

Everywhere else it seems to be working:

- http://mac.linux.be/content/booting-open-firmware
- http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/11128/how-do-i-make-my-1-5-ghz-powerbook-g4-boot-from-a-usb-stick
  * http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/19958/85526
  * http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/160252/85526 ← this one looks a
bit crazy though

I do not see why the d-i manual should not mention a method that works
for some systems, we just need to put a warning.