Re: powerpcspe: Not enough room for program headers,

Hi Mathieu, Christian, & others,

On 08/30/16 08:51, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:
Hi,

I recently uploaded a new version of open-iscsi to sid. It failed to build
on powerpcspe:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=open-iscsi&arch=powerpcspe&ver=2.0.873%2Bgit1.4c1f2d90-2&stamp=1472216616

Funny thing though: the binary that dh_strip tries to process shouldn't have
changed between -1 and -2, and the former built without problems. (And the
binary builds, it's dh_strip that fails. Also, build on powerpc works, plus
open-iscsi doesn't use the FPU heavily.)

The error message
Not enough room for program headers, try linking with -N
seems especially weird, as dh_strip calls objcopy, not ld. (And I could only
find information about that message in the context of ld from over a decade
ago.)

Could you please share any information you have on this error ?

I see you had it at some point:

There is not much I can share other than what's reported in the protobuf transition bugreport. The issue seems reasonably common. It also affected some of my packages:

 * libgeotiff-dfsg (1.4.1-4)

https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=libgeotiff-dfsg&arch=powerpcspe

 * libkml (1.3.0-3)

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=libkml&arch=powerpcspe&ver=1.3.0-3&stamp=1472197067

 * python-pyproj (1.9.5.1-2)

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=python-pyproj&arch=powerpcspe&ver=1.9.5.1-2&stamp=1471849460

 * spatialite (4.3.0a-5)

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=spatialite&arch=powerpcspe&ver=4.3.0a-5&stamp=1471853184

Since powerpcspe is not a release architecture I'm not too worried about these build failures, and assume the porters will eventually fix the underlying issue.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1