Re: PS3?

Am 2017-09-23 um 08:17 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
On 09/22/2017 04:32 PM, Simon Richter wrote:
I'm trying to get a PS3 to boot with the powerpc64 kernel in stretch,
but had no luck so far. kexec from the boot menu happens, then the
screen goes blank and stays that way. I have a 3.5 kernel that boots and
works fine.
I'm surprised to learn that the Cell CPU is 64-bit capable. I wouldn't
have exactly expected that from a 2006 machine.

Adrian

The Cell derived from the PPC970, whichApple called the "G5" and it was 64-bit alright. PowerPC was designed to be 64-Bit from the start in 1992 because it was derived from IBMs POWER line which was also a 64-Bitdesign, only the first generations used a 32-Bit subsetof it, namely the G1though the G4.There was a 64-Bit capable G2 called the MPC620, but it wasn't really used widely.

Mind that Apple introduced the first Power Mac G5 in 2003. (Discontinued 2006 with the switch to Intel CPUs.)

Also found here:
https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

Since the G5 aka PPC970 is a 64-Bit processor and the Cell uses a core called PPE that is said to be derived from the PPC970, it doesn't come as a surprise that the Cell used in the PS3 is also 64-Bit capable. The question is, which 64-Bit it is... And it is also Big Endian, so you'd use the same image as for the Apple Power Mac G5and not the ones in Little Endian used for the later Power8 machines, which Debian calls ppc64el.

Derived from POWER4 and POWER5, Big Endian (BE):
https://wiki.debian.org/PPC64

NOT Little Endian (LE), as for Power8 and later:
https://wiki.debian.org/ppc64el

Cheers,
Linux User #330250