Re: Installer from Ports, ppc 32 bit : "No kernel modules found"[was: Re: problem with page /ports/powerpc/]

On 12/04/2017 01:26 AM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> I forgot this - no idea whether it's important:
> Yaboot (?) says after booting someth. like this:
> "Warning: Bootstrap partition type is wrong: "Apple_HFS"
>                 type should be "Apple_Bootstrap""

We're working on replacing Yaboot for all PowerPC systems with GRUB
anyway as Yaboot is no longer maintained upstream. It's already
the default when installing Debian's powerpc and ppc64 ports on
an a CHRP system, i.e. IBM POWER and such.

>>> No wayland, under no circumstances. Please! .. :)
>>
>> Why not? Wayland actually uses *less* resources than X, much less.
>> [ ... ]
>
> The "less reources" part sounds promising - but the rest:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F27_bugs#Wayland_issues
> And no: I don't want to start a debate about wayland here .... ;)

Well, Wayland certainly still has some issue but you still have
the options in Debian anyway. Eventually it will replace X.Org
though as the X upstream developers themselves no longer want to
maintain 25+-year-old, bug-ridden source code.

But again, we're not there yet anyway, so you don't have to worry.

> And for the archives: I used this fine manual for usb booting the
> installer: it's around five years old but here it worked:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2012/08/msg00042.html

Looks good. But as I said, I don't know for how long Yaboot will
be around as it's currently being replaced.

> Thanks a lot to everyone involved for the ppc ports installer

That's quite a lot of people, actually :).

Btw, please join #debian-ports on OFTC if you haven't already.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz