Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel 4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

On 10/12/2018 04:16 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 10/12/18 9:54 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
How about this…  You send me your detailed notes from making the kernel;

There is extensive documentation on this topic available [1].

Adrian

[1] https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-official

That page speaks of many things but clear instructions are not among them.

That whole page speaks in riddles and strange incantations that don't
really mean anything. The next full moon is 24th of October and I
may be willing to give it a try. However the process will fail as it
has before over and over and as a user I lose interest in poorly written
instructions that speak in half truths and worthless jargon.

fakeroot ?

That alone is something from the distant past that bothers me.

Nope ... not interested.

Attached are detailed step by step and clear instuctions on how to fetch the pure linux kernel sources and then compile and install the thing. There are no magic words or strange incantations. Maybe something to do with modules needing to be stripped a bit and perhaps a look at a conf file in /etc but really it is step by step clear. If it isn't then it is easy to ask.

Here is a blunt force trauma set of steps :

https://node000.genunix.com/deb_ppc64/debian_ppc64_kernel_build.txt

Would be nice if the "Debian way" were written up in a step by step fashion.

Dennis