Re: yaboot installation media

Hello!

On 3/25/22 12:48, Ben Westover wrote:
>> What is more likely is that you have bad memory modules in your machines and Yaboot
>> just happens to use different memory regions which is why it's not affected by the
>> problem.
>
> Hmmm… this computer came from my High School's IT department, so its RAM was upgraded
> by High Schoolers and may very well be bad. I just never thought it was because I never
> ran into issues on OS X or the 2019 snapshot of Debian I got installed with yaboot.

Bad memory modules can actually result in such weird behavior. We've seen similar reports
before.

>> I would suggest running a memory tester to check your RAM's health or replace all
>> modules with known good ones. Also, make sure that the machine has reasonable
>> amounts of memory.
>
> I believe I have 384 MB. What program should I use for this?
>
>> You can either use the last stable installation images for PowerPC:
>>
>>> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/7.11.0/powerpc/iso-cd/
>>
>> and then upgrade from Wheezy to unstable but that's not going to be easy.
>
> Why Wheezy when Jessie is available? Is that image not stable?

You're right, of course. I was checking in the wrong folder which is why I
missed that Jessie was also still released for PowerPC.

To my excuse, Jessie was release seven years ago ;-).

>>> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/10.0/powerpc/iso-cd/
>>> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/ (anything before May 2019 should be Yaboot)
>
> Yeah, I've already managed to get the April 20 2019 image running. Upgrading
> to the latest sid is a nightmare though; I'll have to go in small steps utilizing
> snapshot.debian.org if this is the case.

You can also create a fresh chroot from unstable using debootstrap and that pivot
the root file systems.

>> Reverting the installer system back to Yaboot is not an option for us since
>> that would bring much more problems than it would solve. In particular, Yaboot
>> is no longer maintained upstream, does not work with modern filesystems and
>> does not allow debian-cd and debian-installer code to be shared with other
>> architectures as can be done with GRUB.
>
> Yeah, I've already been made well aware of this. I'm not asking for debian-installer
> to switch back to yaboot, many people are having success with GRUB; I was just asking
> for assistance in creating my own special 2022 yaboot image.

Creating custom images takes quite some work. An outdated guide can be found here:

> https://wiki.debian.org/PortsDocs/CreateDebianInstallerImages?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryPorts%5Cb%29

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz