Re: Issues today with PowerPC

On Tue, 2024-03-19 at 02:25 -0600, Eric Ramsey wrote:
> Honestly, it was people saying sid in general as mostly working. There
> is not much information specifically for PowerPC which is why I
> reached out here.

The transition is being performed in unstable/sid, so naturally all of
unstable is affected.

However, there is one caveat which is whether an architecture is subject
to an ABI change or not. Subject to an ABI change are all 32-bit archi-
tectures in unstable except for i386 where the current ABI is kept so
old binaries will be able to run in the future.

All other 32-bit architectures are subject to an ABI breakage and are in
the middle of a major archive rebuild which isn't done over night.

See this page on the Debian wiki for more information:

> https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/64bit-time

> The good news is I was able to recover the system from the odd state I
> accidentally got it into using the snapshot service.
> So even though I am on an older version I will wait on upgrades until
> things are fine.  I am not worried about it being old so there is no
> real rush.  Just took me by surprise, especially the inadvertent nuke
> that I am still not sure how I pulled off.

The start of the transition was officially announced at the beginning of
February:

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2024/02/msg00000.html

> Speaking of the snapshot service, does debian-ports need hosting space
> for the debian-ports snapshots? It stopped last year and I have not
> investigated why yet in the mailing list.

This is due to hardware issues, no idea what the current progress is:

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2023/08/msg00014.html

If you have the possibly to help, please reach out to the people in charge.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer