Re: Install problems on 43p-150 RS/6000

Hi Bill,

On Mon, 2024-03-25 at 21:08 -0400, Bill deWindt wrote:
> Please bear with me as this is my first post the powerpc group, but I am
> pretty sure I am in the right place for this. :)

You are.

> After recently purchasing a NOS Sparc Ultra 5 and having great success
> getting Sid running on it after much work and reading on
> linux.debian.ports.sparc I decided to try and get Debian running on the
> RS/6000 43p-150 machine I have in my collection. I originally purchased
> the machine from a hospital back in 2008 or 09 for $20 and after a great
> deal of sweat and tears I managed to get openSUSE 10.3 ppc running on
> it. It has been like that since 2010 and I haven't use it since about
> 2012, but if I could get Debian running on it I might have a use for it.
> So, after doing the usual Googling and reading everything I could find
> about this machine and why I had such trouble getting anything other
> than AIX and openSUSE running on it I find myself here asking for any
> assistance or guidance. So let me start with what I have tried to date
> and what the results were (some are virtually identical to posts I found
> from the early 2000's but I hoped some things had changed since then...)

I can't go into the details right now due to lack of time, but you should
first check whether your machine is still supported by the Linux kernel.

I know that IBM engineers dropped support for many of their own PowerPC
machines in the Linux kernel unlike Apple PowerMacs, so chances might be
that your machine is no longer supported and you would have to stick to
an older kernel.

Your 43-P150 system is listed here:

> https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/install

Apparently, there were custom installation floppy disks for this machine.

Since the link above 404s, you have to download them from the archive server:

> http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/chrp/

The page also links to a 404 page by Geert Uytterhoven who apparently once had
such a system:

> https://web.archive.org/web/20140625035302/http://users.telenet.be/geertu/Linux/PPC/

I'm CC'ing him since he might be able to give you some hints.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer