Re: Ghostscript 9.18 packaging

Hi Damian,

Quoting Damian Dimmich (2016-02-09 08:36:29)
> I've encountered an issue with GS 9.16 where it fails to render some
> of my customers pdf's correctly into PNG's.
>
> 9.18 seems to resolve the issue.  I saw on the Ghostscript package
> tracker that there was already a note to suggest packaging the new
> version.  Is someone already working on this?
>
> If not, I'd be happy to have a stab at it.  I've got _some_ packaging
> experience, although the last time I built a deb was probably around
> 2006 :)
>
> Just wanted to check if someone was already doing this or not. Would
> love to contribute.

Help would be much appreciated!

I have a bad habit of doing far too big chunks of work offline, and have
now pushed my preliminary attempt at packaging 9.18: It fails to build,
apparently due to some libtiff linkage not properly handling the use of
shared libraries which I am enforcing by stripping the convenience code
copies upstream used to ship.

You are more than welcome to try help figure out how to patch the build
routines to work - and also to check if you can spot other details I
have missed in my preparations.

If interested, add your name as uploader in debian/control¹ :-)

Also, please subscribe to our mailinglist if you haven't already, so I
can drop you as cc in this conversation :-)

 - Jonas

¹ Either edit debian/control directly and leave it to me or others to
update CDBS files, or - if you are fine working with CDBS - edit the
debian/control.in.in file and refresh with DEB_MAINTAINER_MODE=1.  See
debian/README.source for more details.