Re: IPP Everywhere

On Thu 03 Nov 2016 at 19:44:59 -0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> On 11/03/2016 05:40 PM, Brian Potkin wrote:
> >There is a new wiki page:
> >
> >  https://wiki.debian.org/IPPEverywhere
> >
> >The author would be interested in a review and suggestions for change,
> >particularly if there are technical mistakes.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Brian.
> >

> Most of the text is OK, but please replace the paragraph (in section "Debian
> CUPS as an IPP Everywhere Client")
>
> ----------
> CUPS has a PPD generator for IPP Everywhere printers and a PPD will
> automatically be created in /etc/cups/ppd. The PPD is based on the
> capabilities of the printer polled over IPP so these and user-settable
> options will be shown in the print dialogs of applications and by command
> line tools. Without a PPD printing is done with everything on default; A4,
> one-sided, normal quality etc.
> ----------
>
> by
>
> ----------
> cups-browsed has a PPD generator for IPP Everywhere printers and a PPD will
> automatically be created in /etc/cups/ppd. The PPD is based on the
> capabilities of the printer polled over IPP so these and user-settable
> options will be shown in the print dialogs of applications and by command
> line tools.
> ----------

Thank you very much for that. I failed to look as closely as I might
have at cups-browsed after reading the CHANGES log for CUPS and a CUPS
bug on the subject and made an unwise decision.

> Note that when an IPP printer is discovered that always a PPD is generated,
> if there is an IPP printer with a known PDL (PWG Raster, PDF, PostScript,
> PCL) which does not completely fulfill the IPP Everywhere standard, also a
> PPD is generated but capabilities about which the printer does not provide
> information are filled in with defaults. If there is no way to generate a
> PPD (printer has unknown PDL or does not tell its PDLs), no queue is
> generated. So no queues without PDLs are generated for network printers.
>
> cups-browsed also generates local queues for remote CUPS printers but never
> uses IPP Everywhere for it, but the fact that one can download the remote
> queue's PPD of a CUPS server.

In spite of this extra information I think I'll call it a day after
making your suggested change. I usually prefer to write about things I
can test and not having an IPP Everywhere printer made me feel
handicapped.

Cheers,

Brian.