Re: Printing packaging rework 2020

On Fri 31 Jan 2020 at 14:56:52 +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> On 31/01/2020 14:03, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > That's perfectly correct. However, from my observations in user forums,
> > driverless does not have the visibility amongst users one would like or
> > expect.  One reason is that the GTK print dialog deals badly with IPP
> > printers.
> >
> >    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/1509
> >
> > A second reason is that a change in cups-browsed.conf is needed for a
> > printer to show up in the GTK dialog and users are unaware of this. A
> > consequence of both these infelicities is that users immediately seek a
> > driver solution. OTOH, IPP printers are immediately enumerated in Qt
> > apps and LibreOffice without cups-browsed.
> >

> Great to hear that 2 of 3 print dialogs (Qt and LibreOffice work but GTK
> not) work with current CUPS and without need of cups-browsed.

I am going to back down on my assertion. My understanding is that an
application should query a printer for its attributes. I retested with
the two applications earlier today but neither appeared to do this.
For example. MediaType, ColorModel and cupsPrintQuality are not found
in the "Device" section of LibreOffice. I imagine my previous testing
procedure was defective.

Regards,

Brian.