Re: Proposal: incremental release process (the package pool)

On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 07:40:08PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 04:41:50AM -0200, Lalo Martins wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 10:45:42PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > Note that todays technology eliminates the need for a ftp hierarchy that
> > > resembles the architectural design of our software hierarchy. Most people
> > > are accessing packages through apt, web interface or similar.
> > > So we can have a real, physical pool of any sort, and all distributions are
> > simply a packages file with the relevant constellation.
> > Makes a lot of sense, but that also means making apt mandatory.
>
> It also means finding some way of choosing which packages should be in
> which Packages file. Currently we use dpkg-scanpackages and physically
> move files around (ie, this is yet more scripts to be written).

Sure, but it's an interesting idea, and one that would solve many of
Debian's distribution problems. As far as I'm concerned, write the
necessary code, do a bit of load analysys (bandwidth wise as well as the
burden placed on James (and the rest of the ftpmaints)), and you've got a
proposal I'll second any day.

IMHO, Debian's old method of '<arch>/<section>' has long needed to go. The
BTS needs to be able to handle multiple package version series; this would
help. Debian needs a bit more flexible of a 'distribution' concept. Debian's
core support environment (dinstall, the BTS, the developer database) could
benefit from a central database, and needs a higher level of automation at
the archive level.... All tie in very nicely to Marcus' original idea.

(not that any of those are *directly* related to one flat package archive...
just that it would help all of them to some degree)

PS -- where could someone get dinstall source?

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..avancouw@calpoly.edu.. ..aaronv@debian.org..
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org