Re: Proposal: incremental release process (the package pool)

On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 01:46:15PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > This makes me think about dropping the symlinks completely.
> > >
> > > So we can have a real, physical pool of any sort, and all distributions are
> > > simply a packages file with the relevant constellation.
> >
> > This makes it impossible for people with just a few GB of disk space, but
> > not 15, to mirror only the version of debian they are interested in.
>
> Maybe the answer to that is that we need better mirroring tools. It is
> already hugely difficult to say just mirror 'potato' i386 because you need
> to follow a forest of symlinks into slink!
>
> I don't think this is a real problem if the 'pools' are split up by arch
> and by non-free/contrib/main.

ACK

I find the symlinks between slink->sid and binary-arch -> binary-all
partially annoying.

I would like to have the packages pool with a single ascii file naming
all packages and their version for a specific pool/release/devel-version.

Someone could just

for i in `cat file`; wget -m $base/$i; done ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is