Re: Stop Debian/FreeBSD

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 03:00:31PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Nov 19, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > > You're insane.
> >
> > I guess this is welcome, as when one's opponent resorts to ad hominem
> > attacks, it usually means that one is on the right side of the issue
> > :-)
>
> Or has completely lost touch with reality...

Indeed. John Goerzen's original message was completely a red-herring. There
is no increased danger of the free software community imploding like that.

The issue I see is mostly that of perceived give-and-take.

We've already seen several companies take from Linux without giving much
back. Most people reading this have already formed opinions about these
companies.

Now take those opinions, pretend you're part of the BSD community, and
apply them to Debian.

See, by licensing all your changes under a GPL-with-BSD-Adv-Clause
exception, you wouldn't be giving anything back to the BSD community.
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"Whoah! These are cool songs and they're all about murders!"