Re: Stop Debian/FreeBSD

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 12:41:42AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Please note that Debians architecture and ftp set up make it difficult at
> least to say:
>
> This package is for all linux systems.
>
> This package is for all linux systems, but needs to be recompiled on each.
>
> This package is for all linux+bsd systems.
>
> This package is for all linux+bsd systems, but needs to be recompiled on
> each.

(1) FreeBSD's support for running linux binaries needs to be enhanced.
If done, that reduces the scope of the problem.  If not done the problem
is rather nasty.  [I understand that dpkg and bash have problems running
under this emulation.]

As I understand it, what's missing is support for a few currently
unimplemented syscall.

If not done, a lot more work is going to have to go into working around
this situation.

(2) Once that emulation is reasonably complete -- such that any remaining
problems are obviously kernel related -- the simple thing to do is make
the freebsd kernel depend on (or recommend, for optional/extra/non-us
packages) any relevant freebsd specific packages.

Hopefully, there won't be too many unessential packages pulled in using
such a scheme.

> Until this is fixed, either by a scheme like "Architecture: linux-all"
> or "Architecture: bsd-any", or a more generic scheme like replacing
> Architecture specification by virtual and concrete dependencies
> (virtual like linux-syscalls and concrete like libc6), we only can
> want this goal and not implement it.

It's true that brute force workarounds should be replaced with something
more elegant.  And I hope that the hurd and freebsd people can come up
with such a thing.

--
Raul