Re: Debian FreeBSD

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Joel Klecker wrote:

> No you don't, a native FreeBSD port of glibc2 wouldn't have any need of
> Linux system call emulation.
> glibc is designed to be portable, the majority of its code is system
> independant, system dependencies are in a hierarchial directory structure
> (sysdeps/) from least specific to most specific as you traverse deeper in
> the tree.

I think it would be even reasonable and possible to edit the FreeBSD
kernel headers in such a way that glibc was *binary compatible* with linux
glibc - this would mean that to run freebsd kernel all you need is to
recompile glibc, the kernel and a handfull of system utilites (route,
ifconfig, etc) The rest of the system would run natively. Of course this
would be utterly binary incompatible with a normal FreeBSD system, but I
don't think that is an issue.

What I am thinking of in particular are changes to numbered constants like
E*, signal numbers, protocol numbers, etc that glibc uses from the kernel.

Jason