Re: Stop Debian/FreeBSD

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 07:53:54PM +0100, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> > AFAIR, FreeBSD can't boot from ext2fs partition. Maybe I am wrong,
> > so is it possible?
>
> I seriously doubt it. I has been a while (about a month or two) since I
> messed around with device files on FreeBSD (and I am not at home right
> now so I can't check it out), but there's something different with them.
> IIRC FreeBSD uses hex numbers for their major devices, and it won't work
> on ext2fs. (I tried building a chroot FreeBSD system once on an NFS
> mounted linux partition, and it didn't work - I had to change the
> partition to UFS first).

They're working on e2fs booting.

Apparently there's also a group working on a drop-in-FreeBSD-kernel
thing, that you can just plop onto a linux box. Dunno how far along
or how vaporous that project is.

On the whole libc thread:
Isn't it a better idea to _not_ handle glibc for Debian FreeBSD? That
will force us to actually make packages portable.

Portability is good, and is also the main gripe people have about
Linux programmers in general - they write linux code, not UNIX code.

--
Elie Rosenblum                 That is not dead which can eternal lie,
http://www.cosanostra.net   And with strange aeons even death may die.