Re: Skolelinux and the "Debian Labs" idea

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:40:46PM -0700, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > > True, but generally that list isn't exclusive --
> > AIUI, in .au the purposes have to cover everything that the organisation
> > does, though. You could set up a charitable group that educates people on
> > how to use Debian, but that's all it can do. Or you could setup a group
> > to help the disabled by setting up Debian systems, but again, that's
> > all it could do. Which is nice and all, but not really very exciting.
> What about organizations that have a large set of vague goals like
> SPI?[1] It seems to me like we could do a whole hell of a lot with in
> those guidelines.

Again, AIUI, the organisations goals have to directly align with the
particular charitable purposes set out. If you do other things you're
not a charity, whether you do the charitable things or not. (While I'm
certainly no expert on this, I have talked to an accountant about it)

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda