Re: uol.com.br and petsupermarket

Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.iki.fi>
> ke, 2006-03-15 kello 05:48 +1100, Anand Kumria kirjoitti:
> > So an uncooperative ISP isn't a valid reason, in your book?
>
> That is correct, at least this early in the process. Before this step, I
> would have liked to see, say, a message to debian-announce asking
> uol.com.br customers for help. Or debian-news. Or each of the mailing
> lists that have the problematic subscriber.

-announce and -news are moderated lists. I think it's off-topic
for -announce (not major news or very important announcement)
and I don't recommend -news to anyone.

Jan 2006 -devel: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/01/msg00068.html

UOL's AntiSpam has been an intermittent problem on -user since
2004 at least: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/10/msg02691.html
although the sspam implementation seems to have changed since.
Requests for people to contact UOL have been fairly frequent.
Surely anyone who is going to help already has?

If well over a year is too early for a ban, when isn't?

> Also, warning subscribers from uol.com.br that this unsubscription might
> happen, well in advance, so that they can switch to another address,
> would in my opinion have been prudent.

I agree.

> > There were < 100 subscribers from uol.com.br and that ISPs challenge /
> > response mechanism is affecting (at least) > 5000 people.
>
> First, the hurt of even one innocent person being kicked out is, again
> in my opinion, bigger than the pain from having to delete autoresponses.

I agree, but no UOL user is completely innocent in this.

No idea about your VERP suggestion, but the others:

> * Ask someone in Brazil to call up the petsupermarket people on the
> phone and see who there is interested in Debian and if they could please
> not forward their Debian list subscriptions to uol.com.br?

That seems to have been going on for months. Beyond what's
here and in Bug 355684, I don't know current status.

> * Do a big "spring/fall cleanup" and unsubscribe *everyone*, with due
> advance notice of course. [...]

That may well not work, due to gateways, and will kick all
innocent people off the list.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef