Re: Oracle has a Debian repository now

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 09:11:50AM +0200, Michael Kallas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Lots of people are interested in Oracle support for Debian, so I
> > thought I'd mention the following posting which describes Oracle's
> > Debian repository - something which looks like a step in the right
> > direction.
> >
> > http://frits.homelinux.com/wordpress/?p=9
> It would be a step into the right direction if Oracle would release it as
> Free Software (according to DFSG). Until then, I'm not sure how this is
> connected to the Debian project.

5. Works that do not meet our free software standards

   We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that
   do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines.
[...]

Sure, it'd be great if Oracle would DFSG-freely release their stuff. But
I don't see that happening any time soon.

With Oracle releasing their software ready to be used on Debian,
however, it will allow those who equate "Unix Database" with "Oracle"
(and there are suprisingly high number of pointy-haired-bosses that do)
to consider Debian as a serious option; and that's great.

--
Fun will now commence