Re: irc.debian.org

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 12:36, Jon Dowland wrote:
> At 1146403978 past the epoch, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Why not move it to Jabber?  More people use and know what Jabber is
> > these days than IRC.
>
> Really? I'd love to see some figures.

can't find much hard numbers, let along comparisons between IRC-use and
Jabber use, but here is the general info regarding jabber use I found:
- jabber.com appearently had 4 milion licensed users back in 2003 [1] with
  an additional 6 milion estimated open source users at that time thus
  surpassing the number of ICQ users [2]
- since then we've had xmpp (the jabber protocol) published as RFC,
- Jabber Journal 23 [3] mentions that there are over 10.000 activer jabber
  servers on the public network (so not counting those behind company
  firewalls), the same page also names a number of big deployments (such as
  France Telecom, Bellsouth, Orange,  AT&T, EDS, FedEx, HP, Oracle, and
  Sun)
- Apple added xmpp support to iChat [3] [9].
- googletalk uses xmpp [4] and is now federated [10]
- according to the latest jabber journal IBM is adding xmpp support to Lotus
  Sametime [4]
- sun's IM server uses xmpp [5]
- [6] lists 13 different jabber server implementations (of which 7 are
  proprietary ones from different companies), [7] lists a gazillion clients,
  [8] lists a gazillion software libraries for using xmpp

[1] http://www.jabber.com/index.cgi?CONTENT_ID=357
[2] http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39117160,00.htm
[3] http://www.jabber.org/journal/2005-06-24.shtml
[4] http://www.jabber.org/journal/2006-03-24.shtml