Re: irc.debian.org

On Wed, 03 May 2006, Linas Žvirblis wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > What does +s exactly do? Many more channels have this, #debian-qa and
> > #debian.de on OFTC too. So your list is incomplete right now.
>
> +s stands for "secret". It means that the channel will not be seen on
> channel list. It also makes it impossible to tell if a person is on the
> channel, unless you are on it yourself.

Both #debian-devel are +s and yet they are hardly "secret". The +s is
mostly used to avoid being annoyed by random people and is apparently
regularly used for development channels (where interested people know the
existence of the channel via something else than /list).

I don't know if this is a good policy but it looks like many people like
it for various reasons like avoiding spam-bots and similar privacy
concerns.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog