Re: Issues regarding powerpc and Sven

MJ Ray wrote:
> Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org>
>
>> Quite.  I saw AJ's words as being complementary, not derogatory.
>>

> Well, normal people think it's derogatory to write that
> normal people do one thing, but you did something else(!)

Another term for "normal" might be "average", at least in some contexts.
I don't know about you, but I don't particularly feel that it's
derogatory to congratulate someone on being above average. I know that
I'm proud of my irregularities. Some people also call these talents.
> If AJ meant it as purely a compliment, that's welcome (but
> I wait to see) but it seems a strangely-worded one.

I didn't think so.

>> I thought AJ's entire mail was impartial, diplomatic, non-inflammatory
>>

> Partiality and diplomacy, I'm not sure and I'm not sure
> whether that matters, but it inflamed things.

Only due to other's interpretations. I also found it to be very
diplomatic and non-inflammatory. For the record, I have no side in this
debate, though I do have an ulterior motive: producing the best free
operating system possible.

>> and showing the best path to achieve reconciliation and re-establish
>> trust on both sides.  Exactly what one would expect of a good DPL.
>>

> Is it the best path?  Is it even viable?  Time may tell.

What other path is there? How can a team work together if they can't
trust each other. If one looks to history, we see the cold war. The
peace was maintained through the fact that either side could destroy the
other. Do we want MAD reinstated in Debian? I don't think so. The only
thing holding Debian together is trust. We trust that people will not
act to hurt debian, we trust that even though they may not agree,
they'll follow the results of GRs, and act in accordance with the
constitution. We trust that they will act in good faith in their work
with debian and with others. When that trust is gone, collaboration
becomes impossible.

Just my $0.02

Benjamin