Re: Linux System Engineer (100%) in Zurich

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:25:11 -0800
Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 01:00:24PM -0800, Baz wrote:
> > It's only going to take one over-zealous U.S. attorney, to get hold
> > of this and run with it.
>
> We're talking about a posting for a job in Switzerland.  Don't be
> absurd.

Unfortunately the way U.S. legal policy works, if you have servers that
are responsible for this email, or people administering this applicable
list who live in the U.S. then you are in fact at risk of litigation.
You do remember that people on international flights landing for any
reason on U.S. soil mean that the persons on the flight are subject to
U.S. (such as the case of the Canadian citizen Mahar Arar(sp?) a
Syrian-born Canadian who was accused of being a terrorist by U.S.
authorities and deported to Syria when his plan stopped over in the
U.S. (IIRC it wasn't even a planned layover).

That's the highest profile example in Canada, but I've heard of many
other instances where the U.S. has claimed to the right to enforce it's
laws on anyone they are able to do so (i.e. if you have property or
person in the U.S. they will subject it/you to U.S. law), regardless
of where the 'crime' happened.

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore