Re: Estadistical proyect.

El dom, 02-05-2010 a las 10:40 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli escribió:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:58:15AM +0200, angel wrote:
> > My name is Angel Bravo, I'm a student at the University of Granada,
> > (Spain) in his final year of a masters degree in Statistics. In order to
> > finish my degree I am supposed to do a major work in statistics. In case
> > Debian is interested in having someone work on a statistical project of
> > any nature (the project would be supervised by professors of the
> > Statistics and Operations Research department of the University of
> > Granada and and Debian would not be charged with any costs whatsoever),
> > please feel free to contact me. Yours sincerely, Angel Bravo.
>
> Dear Angel,
>   we do are interested in principle, but I confess your offer is a bit
> too vague to understand what you're actually interested in doing. Some
> people has shown interest in your proposal (I'm Cc-ing a couple of
> them), and I'm personally interested in whatever statistical results
> which might raise our awareness on any specific problem we might have
> (on manpower, on software bugs, on timing of our procedures, etc.).
>
> For instance, Gaudenz (Cc-ed) has in the past analyzed the community of
> Debian contributors, classified them in different categories, and
> established a lot of interesting fact on how/when they work, how they
> evolve over time, etc. From that, we have been able to derive some very
> useful information. That is just an example of work in which statistics
> was involved which has been useful to us.
>
> However, we don't have any specific "assignment" to offer right now,
> maybe you want to think a bit more about a specific topic and re-iterate
> your request? We'll be more than happy to help, once the proposal is a
> bit more clear.
>
> Many thanks in advance!
> Cheers.
>
> PS in case you are interested in having some pointers to potentially
>    related bibliography, feel free to contact me off-list

It's not a bit, it's too much vague :) but for two basic reasons:

.- The project can be as big (or hard) as we need (always within range
of my master degree, of course, only must to study it), so you are
completely free for to propose me any idea or project (like manpower, on
software bugs, on timing of our procedures, etc...). Is like a blank
canvas...but you must to say me what exactly want I'll do with the data
(for example, something like obtain a certain probability/stadistic) I
need to known the data and what do you want I do with these data to
start and I'm sure you know this much better than me.

.-I have no idea about coding or programming (only quick and beautiful
pascal code, but don't think be useful here ) so I have no idea what are
your needs or how obtain these data, what it's urgent or important for
debian. I think the first step it's define what kind of stadistic
proyect will be more useful for debian and define wich are the questions
about it that we want to answer by stadistical procedure.

P.D. I hope my poor english could be enough four our comunication :)