Re: trademark policy draft

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> The benefit is that we have a legal tool against someone doing something
> nasty with our name. Which is nice to have, but doesn't come for free.
> It's hard to quantify as well: the benefit is for a future situation of
> which we do not know if or when it will happen.

For what its worth, there are existing situations: e.g.
debian-news.net, debian-administration.org, debianadmin.com,
debian-handbook.info, debian-multimedia.org.

Only one of those has been specifically opposed by the project, and a
kind request resulted in a domain rename without any kind of legal
wrangling (now deb-multimedia.org).

So, point being that results can already be achieved without any kind
of legal hammer.

Best wishes,
Mike