Re: CoC / procedural abuse

Le Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 07:09:15AM +0900, Norbert Preining a écrit :
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > limits as placing a permanent ban, which isn't what I mean. By not
>
> But what it is. It is a permanent ban that *might* be lifted
> by listmasters' graciousness.
>
> So perpetrators have to beg for redemption.

I guess that the story is simpler than this: time-limited bans do not seem to
be supported natively in Debian's mailing list engine (SmartList), so if one
wants to see our listmasters use time-limited bans more often, then somebody
has to spend time to implement this function.

This is the reason I refrained to suggest it before despite I also think that
time-limited bans are better: I am totally unlikely to write this piece of
code.

This said, I think that time-limited bans would be a progress, since they would
make it easier to cool down non-constructive discussions where people are
heating up and start to send dozens of emails as failed attempts to release
their anger by ranting in others ears.

Also, the concept of lifting bans only on demand creates a black list as a
byproduct, and it is strange to imagine such a list in 10 years containing
random people who happened to have misbehaved some time ago, of whom we had no
news since, but whose names we remember forever.  I think that forgetting would
make things easier for everybody after a while.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan