Re: Being part of a community and behaving

Gunnar Wolf wrote:
Ian Jackson dijo [Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 04:53:30PM +0000]:
The correct reaction to people not adopting your software is to make
your software better, not to conduct an aggressive marketing campaign
aimed at persuading upstreams to built it in as a dependency, nor to
overrun distro mailing lists with advocacy messages.
Ian,

You are one of the people I most respect and admire in this
project. And that, believe me, is no small feat. Your contributions,
socially and technically, are tremendous.

But the style of communication you have taken on this debate is very
toxic and very not constructive.

Please, *please* consider not sending messages that have as their only
goal to state again what has been stated so many times. Repeating them
will not make them more palatable.

I don't know (nor really care) whether this could be put formally as a
complaint regarding CoC abuse. But please, human to human: You have
made your point. We are halfway through a GR on the topic. Let it
rest. We don't need more poison in the lists.

Personally, I think Ian's statement is spot on. It states very clearly what is so very wrong with what's happening with systemd, Debian, and large chunks of the Linux ecosystem. And perhaps why some (many?) of us are actively looking at alternatives. The stream of negative reactions is even more revealing of the state to which the community has devolved.

Miles Fidelman