Re: Any Debian support for CubaConf

On Sat, 2016-02-27 at 09:18 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On 27/02/16 04:05, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
[...]
> > FWIW, I'm *not* implying we should refrain from supporting
> > CubaConf. In fact, I was privately contacted by Valessio, as I'm
> > among the closest DDs to the island;I denied because the dates are
> > impossible to me.
> >
> > Also worth noting: Back in 2011, I went to PGDay in Cuba, together
> > with other three people with a PostgreSQL affiliation. PostgreSQL
> > is a SPI-hosted project as well. SPI was, however, unable to
> > reimburse our travel due to the US-Cuba embargo.
> >
> > I know the relations between said nations is on its way to
> > renormalization, but AFAICT the embargo is still active, so we
> > should better check with lawyers if we are to offer reimbursement
> > to anybody to attend.
> >

> Debian does not have an exclusive relationship with SPI, the audit
> committee wiki page[1] lists several Debian trust organizations in
> European countries.

The Debian UK Society reimbursed one DD for attending a conference in
Cuba, in 2006.  (Reported here:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/07/msg00000.html ;)

> The lawyer may also need to advise on issues such as:
> - can US citizens be involved in discussions about such funding?
> - can infrastructure in the US be used to discuss such funding (e.g.
> mailing lists, wiki, or the BTS)
[...]

That's pretty damn meta.

The legalities should all have been discussed back then, and given the
relaxing of sanctions since then I would hope we could safely follow
the same process now.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings