Re: questions about audit and budget processes

At Thu, 3 Mar 2016 19:29:32 +0100,
Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On 03/03/16 19:16, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> [2016-03-03 15:18
> > +0100]:
> >> Why wouldn't people also potentially volunteer some time for
> >> portfolio management?
> >
> > I'd consider this a really bad idea. Portfolio management is
> > perhaps *the* profession that benefits the most from a professional
> > (or at least one of them), contract-based separation between client
> > and actor, with extrinsic motivation of the actor. Even that's
> > impossible to properly tie down, but I certainly would never want
> > to see some people point fingers at others and claiming that they
> > have lost us money because the markets didn't do as they'd have
> > hoped.
> >
> > Would these volunteers invest in Microsoft? Google? Apple? Nestlé?
> > Weapons manufacturers? Companies that exploit resources?
> >

> That's not fair, you shouldn't make a list like that without including
> tobacco companies.
>
> Anyhow, I understand the point you are making, I'd be interested to
> know if many other people feel the same reluctance or have other opinions.

Instead of managing a portfolio, we can just choose one or a few ETF's
that track global indices such as the MSCI World Index and the STOXX
Global 1800. Then you can blame nobody for picking the wrong
stock. Those still can go down, but the long term gross return is
higher than the standard interest rates on savings. We indirectly do
invest in corporations people might consider evil, but the money on a
savings account can also be lent out to an evil corporation by the
bank.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Dekkers