Re: Inappropriate content on planet.debian.org and need of evolution of documentation and CoC

alberto fuentes dijo [Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 01:30:19PM +0200]:
> (...)
> It comes down to know if planet is about debian or about debian developers
>
> My personal opinion is that it should be about debian, not about debian
> developers. Random rants, specially cathartic ones slightly related to the
> debian philosophy of life, should be curbed. And therefore, post about your
> holidays or book reviews should be out of the question. Rants about debian
> should be okay tho :)
>
> Luckily only a handful of people step out of this line, so in practice is
> not a problem. Specially by a beloved developer as Russ, which many people
> like and which opinion in matters is important for many as well

Humh... Well, we did have this discussion a long time ago. Of course,
discussions can be brought back to life; reality changes, actors in a
given place change, and all that.

Back in the day, many of us argued that our Planet should not just be
a view into what we Debian-affiliated people are doing WRT Debian,
but... I'll phrase it as a window into what each of us _is_ as a
person. That helps us know our fellow posters, and helps externals get
a feeling of what they will find if they step closer to the project.

About this thread in particular: I enjoy Shirish's posts, and have
told so to him privately. I did think some people would complain
regarding this last post, but -besides the large, probably needless
photo- I don't think there's anything in it that violates our
CoC. It's a nice narration about a series of thoughts that came to him
a very long time ago, doing something that while socially not very
accepted, is very common in people his age (at the time of what
happened).

Terribly Debian-relevant? Nope. But neither is about half of what I've
posted over the years (maybe more than half). And, still, I often get
helpful or inquisitive comments on what I post from fellow Debianers
via different media.

> (...)
> For many, debian is full of friends, so sharing with planet debian feels
> like sharing with friends. But the reality is that there are many people
> reading the feed. Many more than your inner circle of friends in debian
>
> Luckily, most people realize this and only share their posts tagged with
> debian

Out of the current upper stories of Planet Debian, I can see some
people talking about their life in general, some people talking about
their free software projects or technical tips (not directly related
to Debian), some people talking about Debian "properly". I don't
really agree with your assessment: Some people do use this just as a
window into their Debian-related life, but some others just share our
thoughts as they come by.

There are people who often write many non-Debian posts which I
enjoy. I hope the current consensus allows them to stay there.

> (...)
> I have a small blog as well with a couple of posts about debian, but I
> still dont think it is useful enough to waste so many peoples time by
> aggregating it to the planet

I would invite you to add it to the Planet.