Re: possibly exhausted ftp-masters (Re: Do we still value contributions?

Hello,

On Sat 28 Dec 2019 at 11:31am +01, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> I ceertainly agree that our copyright files should be machine-readable
> in _addition_ to being human-readable, not instead.
>
> I believe our current machine-readable format is expressive enough to
> also be decently human-readable.
>
> Please help challenge me on that: Provide me examples of packages
> considered unsuitable for use with our machine-readable format because
> that would make them too human-unreadable.  I would like to have a
> closer look at such cases.

It's not usually that they are unreadable, but that they are less
readable.  I'm afraid I don't have examples to hand.

For packages with simple copyright and licensing, machine readable
copyright files can take longer to write than a freeform copyright file.

For packages with simple copyright and licensing, there are useful
things you can do with a freeform copyright file which you can't do with
a machine-readable file.  See for example the contribution information
in the copyright files of src:dgit and src:mailscripts.

--
Sean Whitton