Re: Testing Discourse for Debian

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hell, there's a strong confirmation bias here too - how many
> potentially great future developers have we lost at a very early stage
> because our email-centric workflow didn't appeal to them initially?

We already lost existing Debian developers due to this. I remember a
discussion with Ryan Murray (who was very involved a long time ago!)
and he expressed concerns over our use of email and GPG. And the fact
that you must share your email to everybody to be able to take part
into conversations (in particular given how this leads to spam).

He was also concerned with the need to do all work under our real
identity. Looking into contributors.d.o and db.debian.org, he might
have requested his data to be dropped...

Email mailing lists are driving some people away. It's a fact.
Web forum discussions are also driving some people away. I'm an email
guy too, but I find discourse really interesting and I'm ready to give it
a try (even if I'm above 40!).

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>