Debian Feedback

In a recent upgrade I got the version of ls that defaults to outputting quotes for files names, per this announcement from coreutils.
https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/quotes.html

My feedback is that this should be off by default by aliasing it to ls -N (literal quoting style). The purpose of ls when on standard out is for the human eye to read the file names. The quotes clutter the screen and make it harder for the eye to visually scan. It also creates inconsistent visual display for the eye and brain to process. For some files the all of the characters I see on the screen represent the file name; for others some of the characters (the quotes) do not.

The benefits cited in the above link are outweight by the visual confusion the produce.
Debian should turn this feature into an opt-in, not the default. Defaults should represent the principle of least astonishment and provide the most value for the intended purpose of the program. The primary purpose of ls on standard out is to produce human-readable content. This is why Linux distributions often alias ls to ls --color=auto even though color is not the default for ls. Adding color makes ls better suited for its primary purpose.

Unfortunately, the maintainers of coreutils have made copy/paste mildly easier in a few rare cases at the expense of serving its primary purpose. Debian can fix this by aliasing ls to always have -N just the same as it it adds --color=auto to the defaults.

Thanks,
--
David Mooter.