Re: Tone policing by a member of the community team [Was, Re: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board]

Quoting Steve Langasek (2021-04-13 22:17:16)
> I broadly agree with your framing of this, Sam, with one particular point of
> disagreement.
>
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 01:17:30PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> > 2) If your statements (even outside of Debian) commit you to a path that
> > denies dignity, it's entirely reasonable for us to talk to you about
> > whether you'll be able to act in accordance with the CoC and diversity
> > statement.
> > Please convince us that you will be able to treat everyone in Debian
> > with dignity consistent with how we view dignity; convince us that your
> > actions in Debian will create a welcoming community and treat all our
> > members with respect.
> > If you can answer that question,  then we should hold you to that
> > answer.  If your answer is good, I don't think statements outside of
> > Debian should get in the way of your participation beyond raising the
> > discussion of how you will meet our community standards within Debian.
> > I do think if you affiliate yourself with an extreme ideology in your
> > statements outside Debian, it's reasonable for us to be highly skeptical
> > and to ask you to show us how it's going to work.
>
> > I understand some people in the project disagree with me and would like
> > to kick people out for their statements outside of Debian.
> > That's just further than I can go right now.
>
> If one has made statements outside of Debian demonstrating that they hold to
> an ideology that denies the dignity of other members of the project, unless
> those statements have been *recanted*, the existence of those statements has
> a chilling effect on working with others within the project *per se*.  It is
> not enough to ask that someone *pretend* to respect other members of the
> project while working within the project, if their outside behavior shows
> that they don't actually respect those other members of the project.
>
> If a member of the Debian Project were known to have sexually
> assaulted someone, this would be a concern for Debian being a safe
> environment.  It wouldn't matter that the assault happened outside the
> context of Debian work, or that this individual had no opportunity to
> assault people inside of Debian.
>
> The same applies to other, "lesser" behaviors that invalidate the
> innate dignity of other members of the project.  A committment to keep
> one's mouth shut in a Debian context doesn't remove awareness of the
> broader context.

I understand how the above can make sense for a community.  It is
however not how our current Code of Conduct is constructed, and
consequently not a description of how *our* community works but only
personal oppinion of yours.

 - Jonas