Re: Are users of Debian software members of the Debian community?

Hi,

Le 15/09/2022 à 12:37, Chuck Zmudzinski a écrit :

Obviously, my proposal would need to somehow define who are the users
that should be given a formal vote for GRs, the DPL, etc. Maybe "true users
of Debian" is the wrong phrase to define it, maybe the correct idea is expressed
by "contributor with voting rights." Maybe the voting developers can
nominate contributors who are not developers who should be given voting
rights, and if the person nominated receives a simple majority, or some higher
majority like 2/3, then that person gains voting rights even though that person
is not a developer. The theory behind my proposal is that there is a diversity
of viewpoints that stems from a diversity of roles within the project. If the
voting members are restricted only to the contributors who volunteer for
the role of developer, then the full diversity of the Debian community is
not reflected in a vote that only comes from the pool of formal developers.

I would just like to point out that it is possible (and it has been done) to become a Debian Member with voting rights without a developer role. This is what we call "Debian Developer, non-uploading" (or Debian Member).

You have to be a contributor, still, and follow the New Member process - more information is available at
https://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint

I subscribed to the debian-project list for the time being so you can reply on-list
from now on.

ACK :)

Cheers,

--