Re: archive

On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 04:24:56PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 02:45:51PM +0200, ton01@ukr.net wrote:
> > Hi! I'm interested in a question about the archive/old versions [...]

[...]

> This does make it hard if you come across an old machine that hasn't been
> updated in several years or for some reason or another your machine is
> pinned to a particular version - but, in general, you can update to the
> latest point release for a particular version - so 5.10 - then update to 6.*,
> 7.* and so on up until 11.6

And: depending on your needs, the "last point release" is most probably
good enough: given the stability of a stable release, the packages there
will be most probably installable on your old system anyway.

If you want to do things where the exact bit-for-bit content of binaries
matter (what)? then it is more difficult, of course. Reproducible builds
wasn't a thing, back then.

Cheers