Re: Insanely frustrating finding older distributions

Daemon Bernstein <bach@daemonbernstein.com> writes:

> Also, there are NO Nvidia drivers for my old video card on those newer
> distributions, and older drivers will not install.

Just as a side note, we're not very happy about this situation either, but
because the drivers are non-free and NVIDIA doesn't keep supporting them,
there's not a lot we can do about it.  They constantly drop support for
newer cards and don't port older drivers to newer kernels or X servers,
and thus force this endless upgrade treadmill.  We would have to keep
around old Linux kernels and old X servers in order to keep the old
drivers working, and that has too many tentacles and other problems (not
to mention the lack of security support for the older software).

I now avoid buying any products from NVIDIA if I can possibly avoid it, in
large part because of this.  That of course doesn't help if you already
own them, sadly.