Re: Review request: publicity microflyer

On Mon, 5 Jun 2023 at 15:59, James Addison <jay@jp-hosting.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For and after the upcoming release of Debian bookworm, I'd like to
> (attempt to) promote Debian locally by distributing some small flyers
> that are intended to be cheap to print and that include a QR-code
> suitable for use from smartphones (relevant when the flyers are, for
> example, posted on public noticeboards).
>
> I'd like to gather feedback on the wording and content of the flyer;
> the copy attached to this email is based on the latest edit, and is
> available in source form from this debian-flyers.git merge request:
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debian-flyers/-/merge_requests/23
>
> I'll be interested to find out how people respond to the flyer in
> person and what aspects they do and don't care about.  I'll share
> those learnings after a few distribution expeditions.
>
> Regards,
> James

Here's the microflyer PDF as I'll begin distributing it; it may not be
perfect, but I've tried to adopt a bunch of the suggestions provided
(thank you all for the feedback and support).  Not mentioning Linux
(despite saying that I liked that suggestion) is perhaps one of the
more controversial choices, but there we are.  This version is from
commit ID 1875a0f6dc4e1431362611a0f54c8aa5ca2cbf97 in my published
working copy.

For anyone else considering flyering: please check your local area's
regulations.  I was slightly surprised to find out that there are a
number of legal restrictions on flyering here in the UK; I suppose it
does make sense, in order to reduce noisy/spammy advertising.
Delivering flyers into letterboxes appears to be an acceptable and
reasonably effective way to distribute them here.  That'll likely
leave less opportunity for questions and conversation about Debian
itself, but it's a way to get started.