Re: Python 2.1 out

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 03:33:45PM +0200, Vasko Miroslav wrote:
> as Python 2.1 is out, there is no need to keep Python2 and Python152
> in Debian, I think.
>
> it looks like 2.1 has GPL-compatible license (it has, in fact, three
> licenses)

Thanks for pointing out the changes in LICENSE. Since there wasn't any big
noise lately, I thought they had postponed any actions after 2.1.

Short analysys: While Python 2.0 was based on the Python 1.6 codebase (which
had a license that was incompatible with the GPL according to the FSF),
Python 2.1 is now based on Python 1.6.1, which has a modified license.
According to RMS the 1.6.1 license allows derived works which are compatible
with the GPL. I'm not completely sure, though, if the license of this
derived work (Python 2.1) already is accepted by the FSF as compatible with
the GPL.

The interesting part seems to be paragraph (7) of the new PSF license.

I'll send a mail to RMS and ask for his comment.

    Gregor