Re: Future of dh_python

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> > The changes needed in dh_pysupport are trivial. As of version 0.4, it
> > handles dependencies in more cases than dh_python, and does it only if
> > debian/pycompat isn't found. The only thing to do is to remove this
> > check.
> >
> > I also heard that python-central has some code for dependency
> > generation. Depending on how advanced it is, this library won't be
> > needed at all.

Matthias, what's your opinion on this topic?

> Hrm, I can't help but think that one common code base for dependency
> generation is better (if it can be agreed upon).  It means more
> consistency over time when things get changed and also has the obvious
> benefit of being tested better, not all bugs will be duplicated etc.

Indeed. That's why I suggested it. And it would be sad to see all
my efforts with dh_python go away as the sole purpose of the new
dh_python was to assure that consistency.

The code would be a little simplified as there's no need to support the
"old policy" in that library.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog