Re: Proposed update to the python policy

Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:53:27AM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> > How will python-<system> know to recompile it just for one version
> > and not for all supported ones?
>
>   Why would you prevent the user to bytecompile your package for every
> python version he choose to install ? I see the point to avoid archive
> bloat in not building every binary extension. But locally ? Well, that
> seems wrong. Really.

One reason I can think of: The package fails to build on Python
earlier than a particular version, and the user has Python versions
older than that concurrently installed.

--
 \       "Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best |
  `\          way to predict the future is to invent it."  -- Alan Kay |