Re: Problems with building new version of pytools

* Tomasz Rybak <bogomips@post.pl>, 2011-11-22, 18:53:
I have problem with building pytools though.
At the end of build process I got:
dpkg-source --after-build pytools-2011.5
dpkg-source: info: unapplying replace-setuptools.patch
patching file MANIFEST.in
patching file pytools.egg-info/SOURCES.txt
Hunk #2 FAILED at 8.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 24.
pytools.egg-info/SOURCES.txt.rej
patching file setup.py
dpkg-source: błąd: LC_ALL=C patch -R -t -N -p1 -u -V never -g0 -E
--no-backup-if-mismatch <
pytools-2011.5/debian/patches/replace-setuptools.patch zwrócił status
błędu 1
dpkg-buildpackage: błąd: dpkg-source --after-build pytools-2011.5
zwrócił status błędu 1

There are two common solutions:
1) Nuke the whole *.egg-info in the clean target.
2) Add it to extend-diff-ignore in debian/source/options.

This is caused by setuptools.command.egg_info.manifest_maker. In the run() method it calls write_manifest(), which overwrites pytools.egg-info/SOURCES.txt, which was patched by me, to not include in package decorator (we got own in Debian)

Well, patching auto-generated files is always a bad idea... But anyway, why do you care? Are there any tools that parse SOURCES.txt?

And a more general question (to everybody): what's the purpose of installing SOURCES.txt into a binary package?

--
Jakub Wilk